Source: CharterS1117

Show associated factoids  Show associated events Show associated persons

Description

Writ of King Edward declaring that the burh at Wennington, Essex, with the 4 hides belonging to it and the church and land æt thære lea, is to belong to Westminster Abbey as fully and completely as ever Ætsere Swearte and his wife Ælfgyth owned them and gave them to the abbey with his consent.

Charter information
Sawyer 1117
Birch ---
Kemble 870
British Academy ---
Source Used  
Archive(s) Westminster
Source Information
Scholarly Source Dating 1061 x 1065

Notes

Madox 1792, p. 36 n., refers to a red wax seal, three inches wide; Harmer, Writs, pp. 301, 492-4, probably not fully authentic in present form, may be of late 11th-century date; Hart, ECE, no. 50, authentic basis, the land æt thære lea may lie in Aveley, Essex, the adjacent parish; Brooke and Keir 1975, p. 369, dubious; Harvey 1977, p. 344.