A report that an enquiry was held on 2 April 1080 concerning the liberty of the abbey of Ely, which the king (William) had neglected to protect very a period of fourteen years, and whose extinction was now feared. Through the agency of the bishop of Bayeux (Odo), King William ordered his magnates to meet at Kentford with an assembly of the three neighbouring counties. Many were present during the discussions, and the text names those who believed that they had brought the dispute to an end. These were four abbots with their Frenchmen and Englishmen, namely Abbot Baldwin of Bury St Edmunds, Abbot Wulfwald of Chertsey, Abbot Wulfketel of Crowland and Abbot Ælfwald of St Benet of Holme; the king’s emissaries, Richard son of Count Gilbert, Hamo dapifer and Tihel de Helléan; the sheriffs with their men, Picot and Eustace, and Ralph and Walter on behalf of the sheriffs Roger and Robert; Hardwin, Guy Wimer, Wihumer, Odo, Godric, Norman, Colswein, Godwine, and many other proven French and English milites from the four counties of Essex, Hertford, Huntingdon, and Bedford. It was decided that Ely should hold her liberty as the holy queen had held it from the beginning, and as it was protected by the charters of Kings Edgar, Æthelred, and Edward, and as it had been restored by St Æthelwold in particular. It was redeemed from secular oppression by lavish expenditure and anathema was pronounced on all who infringed it. William himself confirmed the verdict and added grants of his own.
'It has been correctly observed that this text is not a report of a single enquiry, but rather a conflation of a number of enquiries which must have taken place over a period of time.' Bates, Regesta, p. 419.