Source: CharterS108

Show associated factoids  Show associated events Show associated persons

Description

Offa, rex Anglorum, to Oswald, bishop; grant, for the foundation of a minster, of 8 hides (cassati) at Bexhill, Sussex, with reversion to the bishopric of Selsey. Latin with English bounds and a list of gavel-land appurtenant to Bexhill, namely, Barnhorne, Worsham, on Ibbanhyrste, Crowhurst, on Hricge, on Gyllingan, Foxham (lost, in Crowhurst), on Blacanbrocan (? Black Brooks in Westfield), and Icklesham, all in Sussex.

Charter information
Sawyer 108
Birch 208
Kemble ---
British Academy Kelly, Selsey
Source Used Brit_Ac
Archive(s) Canterbury, Christ Church ex Selsey
Source Information
Language Latin with Old English
Date from Source 772, August 15
Scholarly Source Dating 772

Notes

Stenton 1918, p. 448 n. 67, spurious (= Stenton 1970, p. 62 n. 2); Barker 1947, pp. 94-5; Dulley 1966, p. 26, on topography; Brooks 1971, p. 80 n. 4, of uncertain authority; Stenton 1971, p. 208 n. 5, text partly rewritten but portion of witness-list seems authentic; Brandon 1974, pp. 78-80, on topography; Scharer 1982, p. 261, a fabrication perhaps based on some genuine material; Edwards 1988, pp. 267-72, interpolated but authentic basis; Gardiner 1989, on estate history; Faith 1997, p. 30 and map p. 31, pp. 40, 44, 105-6; Kelly, Selsey, p. xxx, on provenance, pp. lxxxi-iii, on witness-list, pp. 109-10, authentic basis, but bounds and list of gavel-land are certainly additions and perhaps also the reference to reversion

Translation(s)

Editor Article or Book Title Journal or Pub.Loc. Date pp.
Barker, Eric Ernest Sussex Anglo-Saxon Charters Sussex Archaeological Collections 1947 92-4